Thursday, February 28, 2008

City and Guilds, Level 3 Certificate in Embroidery, Foundation Module






The Foundation Module package arrived over Xmas, while I was out of town, and I was very excited to hear it had arrived. When I got home, I made a cup of tea and sat down to read. It was like the Dr Who Tardis... quite a small package, but so much more inside than one would expect.
Choosing my wall had been a slow process, as the weather had been either bitter cold or wet. Also, I wanted a wall that had history, colour, and texture. I finally decided on the old courthouse, which overlooks the Thames River. ( Yes, we have a Thames River running though our London too!) I noticed a section of the wall which had a cobalt blue and rust colours in the stones. What rich colours! The rubbings were tricky to do in the wind, and I suspect I may have shifted the paper as I worked, but the following days were even wetter, so I will stick with what I have done.
The day I chose to photograph and take a rubbing of my chosen wall was after a huge amount of rain, but that day was cloudy and windy. It was so windy in fact that I managed to acquire a bloodshot eye. Marilyn Manson might have wanted it for one of his videos! The doctor told me that usually this sort of problem happens after a night of alcohol binging and purging. At my age, I do not think so, but he does have a sense of humour. Thank goodness it disappeared after only two weeks!
Wednesday January 16 was the first day of CEG London Winter Weekend, and I had with me my photos, rubbings, canvas, threads, and other items I thought necessary to start the project.

No comments: